In 1643 Coleford was the scene of a battle in the Civil War which included 1500 troops and 500 horsemen.
Originally, Coleford was overshadowed in size by both Clearwell and Newland villages.
Coleford has had two Market Halls, both now gone. The second was in a similar style to the one at Ross-on-Wye.
The Clock-tower belonged to the original St John’s Church which was octagonal in design. The church stood for only 61 years.
The stone cross marks on the market square marks the position of the altar from the original St. John’s Church.
Tree felling for charcoal saw most of the original trees from around the town being cleared and the forest receding further up into the hills.
Freeminers are peculiar to this area. Anyone born within the Hundred of St. Briavels who worked in a mine for a year and a day was allowed to open up his own coal mine in the local area.
The abundance of iron ore and a plentiful supply of wood for charcoal saw the area rise in prosperity as the industrial revolution arrived in the 1800s.
Robert Mushet developed the first alloy steel process. Traditionally iron railway rails had to be replaced every 3-6 months but with ‘Mushet Steel’ their lifespan was extended to over ten years of hard use.
Local solicitor Captain Angus Buchanan, MC, VC was shot three times and lost his sight while saving two soldiers during the First World War. He was awarded the Victoria Cross.
He retrained as a Solicitor, obtaining his Law Degree at Oxford University.
The gates at the Angus Buchanan Recreation Field erected in 1935, carry the design of the Victoria Cross in recognition of his bravery, the recreation ground having been purchased by public subscription and named in his honour.